Monday, December 15, 2014

Reflective Essay



DFaye Anderson

Professor Gleason

ENGL 0862 Teaching Composition and Literature

6 December 2014

 

Reflective Essay

            As I consider this past semester, I am thankful for a number of things. I benefited from joining a class of serious learners, who came from diverse teaching backgrounds. My colleagues work as tutors, and as teachers of adult and ESL learners. Some of them are first time adjuncts, others, seasoned vets. A few are part of the MFA program, others from the Literacy or Literature side of the department. The diversity of voices and experiences has informed my thinking.  Take the Anti-Rubric rebels, for instance. I’ve always used rubrics in my teaching, but their perspective was so new and startling, it caused me to consider their arguments and to take a new look at my own reasoning (Just because you’ve always done it that way, doesn’t mean...!)  The jury is still out, but I am thinking about how I can use a rubric and incorporate some of their thinking.  I wa energized by the passion of my colleagues and their commitment to becoming more effective teachers. No one mailed I in.

            There was an abundance of scholarship to read and discuss, but it was a piece we read early in the semester, “Interrogating Text: From Deferent to Efferent and Aesthetic Reading Practices,” by Cheryl Hogue Smith, that had the greatest impact. “Successful readers know how to face the confusion and insecurity of reading complex texts without internalizing the sometimes destructive feelings that accompany the process of working through the confusion.” (10) Now, I knew that. I understand the role self-esteem plays in a student’s success. Yet, those words served as a reminder, and they came at the beginning of the semester. I incorporated the reference into my lessons and had my high school students, many of whom struggle with reading, discuss it.  My hope was to encourage them by pointing out that research acknowledges their confusion and identifies the feeling as universal.  Reading, for most, at some time, proves challenging, and we all experience feelings of inadequacy. This too shall pass, if you don’t give up and don’t make it personal.  Yet, Smith doesn’t let them off the hook.  “If students are ever to write successfully in the academy, thy must metacognitively read difficult and complex texts that will initially and inevitably require them to experience and endure confusion, at least for a while.”(11)  Translation: read the difficult passage, you must, read it two times, three times, if you must, because the only way to get beyond it is to go through it.
Another assignment I found insightful and helpful was to observe another college instructor and to write up the observation. This afforded us the opportunity to watch someone handle classroom management, late arrivals, students who talk too much and those who shy away from speaking. I watched as Ms. Joseph paced her class so as to get maximum effort from her students. I watched her effortlessly command respect and spoke to her afterwards about the steps she took in her first classes to build community. This assignment made me think about the choices I make in the classroom. I certainly will revise my syllabus to make it more comprehensive and I will return to some discarded practices that helped me learn about my students as people.  Professor Gleason knew it was important to expose us to other instructors and other styles and facilitated this by contacting and securing instructors willing to allow us into their classes. In addition, she brought in guest speakers, two adjuncts who shared their experience and entertained our questions.
My classmates and the readings have impacted my methodologies and my thinking, but I’ve learned the most in this class, by watching Professor Gleason teach us about teaching.  Gleason has modeled dedication, humor, openness, and employed a multiplicity of teaching strategies.

Professor Gleason employs standard methods, lecture and printed text. She utilizes the white board to outline important ideas. These are not the only tools she uses though. Gleason fosters student learning through partner and small group discussions. Those discussions helped me clarify my understanding of some of the theories, because I was able to be less than perfect in a small setting, and not worry about it.  In addition, each of us has collaborated with a classmate to make a presentation and to write a paper. Peer teaching is a valuable tool for any class at any level.  Professor Gleason also kept watch that we stayed on task in these groups and made us accountable for the time.
Most encouraging though, was to see Professor Gleason engage technology. My own computer skills are limited: I read my email, send emails, read the Sunday Times online and play a little solitaire.  Professor Gleason posted many of the readings to the CCNY Bulletin Board, so if you lost your copy, there was always another source available. Gleason had us create a blog and upload our assignments. This assignment forced me to try something I am very uncomfortable doing. The experience and watching her work so confidently, was affirming.
            Finally, Professor Gleason’s generosity impressed. She was always prepared with additional copies of the readings and gave them out, without complaint or attitude, and that had an immediate impact on my methods. I used to sell pens, 25 cents each, to students who showed up without writing utensils. After watching Gleason, it occurred to me that it was more important that we get on with the learning, as we have only fifty minutes, than lose time making a point about student responsibility (there are other places to do that). She was generous with her time, too, staying after class, on a Thursday night, to show me how to create a blog.  She was always available after class and I often left her helping, talking or listening to my colleagues, long after class was over. I’d be remiss if I neglected to talk about the bowls of Hershey’s chocolate s and other chocolates she brought in and shared.
            Be clear. Professor Gleason’s generosity was balanced by her demand for accountability. We had to revise and resubmit both major writing assignments, and I remember with humor the time she thought I was trying to escape without turning in an assignment. Professor Gleason was standing, chatting with two or three students after class had ended. Others were either packing up or talking. In essence, it was controlled chaos. It appeared that Gleason was totally engaged in her conversation with the students gathered around her. As I walked to the front of the room, on the other side from her, Professor Gleason suddenly turned from her group and asked me for the assignment.  I’ve seen her do that a number of times since. Like any good teacher, she may not see everything, but she sure sees a lot! I’ve had a great seat to watch Professor Gleason work, from my place in the back of the room, with an unobstructed view of all of my classmates and the professor.   
This is the final class of my career here at City College and, were it not my last course, I’d vote to do it again! Why? I believe this course should be taught over two semesters, to allow more time for students to grapple with the readings and practices and ideas. Time is always and forever a premium, and so I relish the opportunity to go back to some selections (and to read others for the first time), after the semester, when I’ll have time to ponder, savor and review.  I will miss though, the chance to bounce ideas off of Edwin or William or to seek Caitlin’s opinion.  That kind of interaction has been one of the highlights of this class.

Works Cited

Smith, Cheryl Hogue. “Interrogating Texts: From Deferent to Efferent and Aesthetic Reading            

            Practices.” Journal of Basic Writing 1 (2012): 5-25. Print.

 

 

 

         

           

No comments:

Post a Comment