DFaye Anderson
Professor B. Gleason
ENGL 0862
Dec. 2014
Response
#3
“Universal
Design and Multiple Literacies: Creating Access and Ownership for Students with
Disabilities”
Martha G. Michael and Beverly J. Trezek are my new
education sheroes. They are the authors of the third review selection, “Universal
Design and Multiple Literacies: Creating Access and Ownership for Students with
Disabilities.” Initially, I thought I’d
write about their wonderful advocacy in behalf of students with special needs.
I admire those who fight for justice, so Michael and Trezek are easy,
gratifying choices. I thought I’d write about their work to spread the gospel
of Universal Design, a term borrowed from architecture, and loosely translated
means to plan access for everyone. In
today’s classroom, students arrive with a wide range of skills and abilities.
At my own school, a charter high school in the south Bronx, approximately 25%
of our students have Individualized Education Plans (I.E.P.), educational plans
for students who’ve been identified as having learning disabilities. This access is gained by taking advantage of
multiple literacies, the ability to learn and to show what you’ve learned through
means other than pen and paper, or script literacy. I was ready to champion the
champions of the marginalized. And then
I caught myself.
Differentiation is the implementation of multiple
literacies. That means instruction may
utilize the film, 12 Years A Slave, create
a blog or post a YouTube clip of your classmates rapping about the solar system.
It might be a PowerPoint presentation of
the Crusades, or drawing of the set of the play, The Lower Depths. Limited access to electronic? You can maneuver
around that. Graphic organizers of all shapes and for lots of projects help
visually oriented learners. An interview with a community leader can yield
first person history reports. Of course, one of the best ways of learning is
through experience.
I was ready to congratulate the ladies on their efforts
to assist young people. And then I had another thought. Differentiated learning
is an effective method for reaching students who don’t do well with pen and
paper, but students aren’t the only ones benefiting here. Seriously, who
doesn’t like to create out of their ideas and talent? Script Literacy is tame,
a weary lady rocking in her rocking chair, compared to differentiated teaching.
I like the challenge of figuring out ways of using recorded music and film and
live music and role playing and the other arts in the classroom. Differentiated
teaching benefits students, but I’m having pretty good time over here, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment